Nine unelected judges, three of whom were appointed by Donald Trump, are poised to decide the fate of hundreds of millions of Americans this summer. We cannot allow this to happen. As the leaked draft opinion by Samuel Alito clearly shows, the court is very likely to overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade decision that has made abortion legal in all states since it was passed in 1973. This decision will be a catastrophe for millions of Americans, and will hit poor people, working class people, and working class people of color particularly hard. In response we must build a fighting movement to defend abortion rights and to win national legislation guaranteeing the right to free, safe, legal, and accessible abortion for anyone who wants one.
The same Far Right that is attacking abortion rights is also attacking LGBTQ+ rights and trans youth, and therefore our struggle to defend abortion is also a struggle for the rights of all these people. Only by building power in our communities and workplaces can we confront the far-Right conservative agenda that is in service of the ruling class.
- Free, Legal Abortion Now, Enshrined into Federal Law: We demand a federal law that guarantees free, safe, and legal abortion, on demand and easily accessible to people in all states without any Hyde Amendment-style restrictions that keep low-income people from accessing abortion.
- Build an Independent Mass Movement for Abortion Rights: Argentina, Ireland, and Colombia showed us that we can win abortion rights. The only way forward is to organize in our workplaces and communities and take the streets, and organize walkouts and work stoppages. The Democrats will only lead us to the polls, so our movement needs to be independent and organized by rank-and-file committees in every workplace, as well as in schools, universities, and local communities.
- Rank-and-File Committees at Every School and Workplace: Every school and workplace should organize committees for abortion rights — Teachers for Abortion Rights, Students for Abortion Rights, etc.
- Unionize Every Workplace, Every Union Should Fight for Abortion Rights: Starbucks and Amazon workers are showing the way forward by fighting billionaire bosses and unionizing their workplaces. We all need unions to fight for our rights as workers, but also for all the rights we need as oppressed people. We must fight to unionize every workplace and for every union to organize a fight for abortion rights.
- Free Public Healthcare: Abortion is healthcare and healthcare is a right. We want a free, public healthcare system.
- The Right to Parent: We fight for everyone who wants to be a parent to have the right and the financial means to do so. This means we fight for federally mandated paid parental leave and free public childcare. We also fight to overturn legislation that discriminates against oppressed people — queer folks, undocumented folks etc. — in their ability to access adoption, childcare, or other services. It also means fighting for safe reproductive health and against the racism in the healthcare system that leads to the disproportionate deaths of Black people, especially Black women in childbirth.
- Down with every Anti-LGBTQ law, For the Right to a Trans Childhood: The same right wing which wants to curtail abortion rights is also coming for LGBTQ+ people, especially trans youth. We must fight for the right to a trans childhood and fight to defeat every anti-LGBTQ+ law.
- Not One Cent for the Cops or the Military, We Need Free Healthcare: Republicans and Democrats are united in a policy of increasing police budgets so that cops can have more funding to murder Black and Brown people. These parties are also united in a policy of increasing the military budget to further U.S. imperialism and murder people abroad. We must oppose this and demand that not one cent be given to cops or the military! That funding should go towards the needs of all people, including funding healthcare and full bodily autonomy, including free abortions and free gender affirming care.